At the annual CONDA Awards on Saturday 26 November, our production of “Wicked” won 5 awards in the following categories:
- Musical Production
- Director of a Musical – Julie Black
- Lead Actress in a Musical – Tayla Choice
- Costume Design – Bev Fewins & Steven Harrison
- Hair & Wig Design – George Francis
We had also received nominations in the following areas:
- Ensemble Acting
- Lead Actress in a Musical – Rachel Davies
- Musical Direction – Greg Paterson
- Set Design – Graeme Black & Donna Nipperess
- Choreography – Kirby-Leigh Coker & James Tolhurst
- Lighting Design – Jacob Harwood
This is an outstanding result and huge congratulations to everyone involved in “Wicked”. The citation from the CONDA judges said ‘The audiences of Wicked were transported from their seats into the Land of Oz and the Emerald City with this visual and aural feast of colour, life, laughs and the occasional tear. It pulled together performance and massive production elements to a foremost degree to deliver a highly engaging and magical show to a professional standard. A superb audience experience.’
This is now the fifth year in a row that the company has won the CONDA Award for best musical. This is a massive testament to the hard work and dedication of our amazing production team who each year strive for the highest quality possible.
The other exciting part of the night was that our Director, Julie Black, received the final award for Outstanding Achievement in Newcastle Theatre 2016. This is a very deserved award and a great recognition of Julie’s incredible contribution to Newcastle theatre.